Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The One Finger Salute

As I rode my bike from Lewistown to Denton, a guy in a truck approaching me from the opposite direction put his right index finger to his right temple and rotated it in a clockwise circular motion. I knew instantly that he was sending me a clear message that I was crazy.

When motorist sees A touring cyclist approaching from the after direction it is Very common to greet him or her by extending their right index finger up forward without removing their right hand from the steering wheel. I interpret that Message to mean different things:

1. I would like to wave to you, but I need to keep nine fingers on the wheel at all times

2 Just be glad it’s not my middle finger

3. Remember that I in my car am number one

4. I am extending my finger upward in a silent prayer for your safety

5. I am warning you - stay on the shoulder

On the rare occasions when I am driving and encounter a touring cyclist coming in the opposite direction,I wave frantically. Sometimes I turn around and stop the cyclist to find out where he or she is going, where they have been, etc. That happens to me when I am riding,, but not often.

Maybe I am crazy.


No comments:

Post a Comment