Thursday, August 30, 2018

A Rest Day in Walla Walla

It was a day of wine and roses for me in Walla Walla.







So what does a touring bicyclist do on a rest day? S/he takes off the panniers, the tent, the bicycling gloves the biking shorts, the cleats (but not the Bicycle helmet ) and takes a bicycle ride around town. 

When in Walla Walla, I did as the Walla Wallans do. I sampled lots of wines. I am not a wine afficianado but they tasted really good to me.

I also visited the beautiful Whitman College campus where I watched members of the men’s tennis team practice. Tennis looks like a fun game. I’d like to try playing it sometime.

Whitman College is a small liberal arts school that is named after Marcus and Narcissa Whitman, who were missionaries near Walla Walla. In 1847 they along with 12 others were killed by Native Americans who believed they were responsible for the deaths of many tribe members in a measles outbreak. It became known as the Whitman Massacre.

I had lunch at a Thai restaurant downtown and rode around the city and nearby Pioneer Park.








I spoke with many Walla Wallans about attractions and history of this town. I learned that Adam West, who played Batman, is from Walla Walla, as is former NFL quarterback Drew Bledsoe.

I closed out the day by doing some laundry, lubricating my chain and making a plan for tomorrow’s ride. 


1 comment:

  1. Hope the smoke pollution from forest fires doesn't affect you. My brother in Seattle has been sending pictures of unusually hazy skies.

    ReplyDelete