Monday, August 13, 2018

Cowboy Encounters

This will be an ongoing post dedicated to a subject that intrigues me – modern cowboys and the people who associate with them.

About 6:30 one night I’m sitting in a dark saloon in a tiny town in the high plains of Montana full of cowboys (about eight of them, which is a lot of people in these parts). They all seem alike  - cowboy hats that never come off, light cotton plaid shirts with collars, wrangler jeans, boots, a tall glass of beer, weathered skin and facial features, And a chattiness that I surmise comes from spending long days alone.

In walks a cowboy who fits the mold with one exception. He  is in his mid-20s, a good 20 years younger than any of the other Cowboys in the bar. He claps one of the older Cowboys on the shoulder and takes a seat at the bar a couple of stools down from me. He politely asks the bartender to bring him a Budweiser and a pack of cigarettes, which she does with a smile. Everyone seems to know this kid.

So, what’s he been up to? Tearing down fences. Nuf said. I have questions But no one else does. 

I am there to observe and eat so my many questions go unanswered.

Encounter 2

I ride into town one afternoon And decide it is too hot to camp. So I head over to the only motel in town. I ring the bell at the office and an elderly gentleman appears.

The motel does not take credit cards. Fine. he gives me a conventional key on a plastic keychain. The computer number is on the back of the keychain. Computer number? Oh, the Wi-Fi password. It has rubbed off and is illegible. Slightly perturbed, the elderly man returns to the other room and comes back with a page of stickers Containing the Wi-Fi passwordand places one of them on keychain.  

He has never used s computer and has no use for them. Really? What kind of work has he done? Owned a ranch for many years. Wow! How many acres was the ranch? That’s personal. Never ask a rancher that question. It’s like asking someone how much money he has. Sorry. Are others working the ranch now? Nope. Bank took it.

Never ask a rancher how many acres he has, especially if he lost the ranch!

Encounter 3

I’m sitting next to a cowboy At a bar and Grill in Denton, MT Having breakfast. It’s a workday for him and he’s got business to do on his phone. 

This is so-and-so from Denton and I understand you were looking for some hay. Well, I’ve got hey. Make me an offer. No, I am not going to give it to you. This is good hey. Well, this is my number. Give me a call if you change your mind.Everybody wants something for nothing these days.

I hear there was a lot of early-season rain and so there is a lot of good hey out west this year.




1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying the blog Mike. I recently re-read Travels With Charlie and this gives me the same feeling. I suspect the mountains will provide a whole new set of issues, but hopefully they at least provide a break from the heat. We miss you at tennis. Keep on grinding! Gary

    ReplyDelete