Monday, August 20, 2018

Day 46 - Simms, Montana to Lincoln, Montana

I crossed over The continental divide at Rogers Pass today. The ascent to the pass was steep and challenging, but not as challenging as the headwinds I battled all day. The wind was blowing so hard in my face that on my descent i was unable to hit even 30 mph. A cyclist I passed going east on the Lewis and Clark trail told me that he had hit 50 mph on his descent from the pass!


This is gorgeous country, but the smoke is becoming somewhat of an issue. There are all kinds of air-quality alerts and warnings out throughout Montana and I am exerting a lot of energy for upwards of seven hours a day! This may not be healthy!


Near the top ofthe mountain the mountain pass, I was happy and a little surprised to see that Minnesota does not hold the record for the coldest temperature ever recorded In the continental United States! When I arrived in Lincoln, I learned from one of the locals that same area also holds the record for the biggest temperature change in any 12 hour period - Apparently it was 40 below zero up there one night. Then the Chinook winds started to blow. 12 hours later it was 60°!



No comments:

Post a Comment