Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Day 61 - Portland, OR to Ranier, OR

I expect this will be my last night camping on this bicycle tour. The weather from start to finish has been magnificent, which has enabled me to camp almost every night. I have had only one day of rain and that was on a scheduled rest day in Missoula.

Things were different for Lewis and Clark. By the time they arrived here it was early November 1805. They, of course, camped every night and were experiencing cold, gray, drizzly weather as is common for this part of the country at that time of year. They had big campfires every night to stay warm. Due to high fire risk, I have been unable to have campfires for quite some time. 

Initially, at least, the Corps of Discovery’s displeasure with the weather in the Pacific Northwest was overshadowed by their excitement about getting close to the ocean.

A guy on a recumbent bicycle came up to me today as I was riding through a small Western Oregon town and asked if I would like to take a shower, a swim and camp at his health club. I had just showered  and was focused on logging some miles, but I accepted the gift of a shower and brief swim to be polite. It felt great and made me think back to all of the kind things that people have done for me on this trip. 

On days when the temperatures soared to over 100° on the high plains, several drivers stopped and offered me cold bottles of water from their coolers. Numerous people stopped to assist with directions when they saw me looking at my Maps And several offered lodging.

We bicycle tourists also have a trail angels.

I am about 75 miles outside of Seaside, Oregon, which is the official end of the Lewis and Clark trail. My goal is to watch the sun set over the Pacific ocean in Seaside tomorrow night And the next day ride the 25 miles back to Astoria, which is where Lewis and Clark spent the winter of 1805-1806. There is a replica of Fort Clatsop and a Lewis and Clark interpretive center in Astoria, so I will have plenty to do there.

This has been such a great trip; it is sad to think it is coming to an end. But I have much to look forward to at home and am excited about these Last two days of bicycle touring.

Ranier, OR



1 comment: