Monday, September 3, 2018

Day 58 - The Dalles, OR to Viento State Park, OR

Today was a magnificent combination Of riding on the historic Old Highway 30 and an Oregon state bicycle trail leading to the gorgeous tourist town of Hood River. Historic Highway 30 runs somewhat parallel to interstate 84, but it was constructed in a way that was intended to enable motorists to enjoy the spectacular beauty of this area. Today it is used almost exclusively by bicyclists.





As I climbed the switchbacks on old highway 30 leading to the overlook above, I was passed by a group of cyclists. One of them shouted to me, you are tough. If I’m so tough, I wondered,  then why are you passing me? When I descended into the town of Hood River, I got my answer.


Hood River Is the mecca for kite boarding and wind surfing. It is a fantastic place that draws enthusiasts from all over the world. The harder the wind blows, the happier they are. I didn’t have the heart to tell them that it blows even harder in the Dakotas!


I camped in Viento State Park last night. Viento means wind in Spanish. They told me that is purely coincidental, but I don’t believe them.





Oh, and there are vineyards and wine tasting rooms on historic highway 30. At this one I met a group of e-cyclists. They said they didn’t need the rest, but wanted some wine!



No comments:

Post a Comment