Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Days 24 and 25 - In and Around Chamberlain and Oacoma (31/1,038 miles)

Lewis and Clark arrived on the west shore of the River in what is now Oacoma on September 16, 1804, feeling wet, cold and exhausted from battling hard wind and rain for several days.  They stayed for three days to rest and dry out.

I very much can relate to how they felt.  I've spent he past couple of days resting, camping and riding around to see the sights in this area.

The hills around this town provide magnificent views (one of which is featured on the cover of my guide book, "Bicycling the Lewis & Clark Trail").  

 


The most interesting attractions in this area are the magnificent Akta Lakota Indian Musem and Cultural Center, and a rest stop off the freeway containing an enormous statue of a symbolic native American woman named Dignity and an interesting Lewis and Clark Museum.

 



I have now reached a logical stopping point for Part I of my journey along the Lewis and Clark Trail. Chamberlain is just off the Interstate, so it is an easy place to meet someone.   I have many commitments throughout the summer so I'm not exactly sure when I will start Part II of the trip.  Part II will require a great deal of planning because it will involve a lot of very challenging terrain in extremely remote regions with few resources for cyclists.  Might be a good segment to have someone sag for me.  Anyone interested?  :-)

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed that huge statue, "Dignity", survives high winds. It looks as though she's holding up a perfect sail

    ReplyDelete