Saturday, April 29, 2017

Day 4 - Tebbetts, MO to Boonville, MO 64/222 miles)

The rain stopped about an hour into my ride today.  The trail was wet, but much better than it has been.  The forecast, however,is calling for extremely heavy rain starting tonight and going throughout the weekend.  

It was imperative that I make it to Boonville today because, assuming the forecast is correct, the trail will be impassable when the rain finally stops.. In Boonville the Louis and Clark Trail departs from the Katy Trail and begins to follow the Santa Fe Trail, which is actually a series of paved roads.

Today's ride is generally considered the most beautiful part of the entire Katy Trail. It passes through several quaint towns, the most picturesque of which is Rocheport. I wish I could've taken more time to enjoy the ride; but for the above stated reasons I pushed really hard and made it to Boonville in time to check into a cheap motel, where I waited for the storms to begin.

Lewis and Clark pretty much had their pick of the litter in selecting men for the expedition.  (Little did they know that they would be joined by a woman who played a vital role in their expedition.) One selection criterion they used was capability, "of bearing bodily fatigue to a considerable degree."  I am not yet in great shape for touring, but at least I met that criterion today. 

Another selection criterion that I do not meet was a requirement that men on the crew be unmarried.  I wonder why that was important...

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Lewis and Clark anticipated crew deaths on the expedition and wanted to avoid confronting newly minted widows? Or perhaps thought married men might be distracted from their duties by thoughts of wife and children left behind?

    Standing Rev

    ReplyDelete